This interests me as I can see it might have political relevance in cases /conflicts such as Israel-Palestine as well as in sick people.It makes one be unable to apologise or see another person’s point of view
There are two different ways of responding to anxiety; the paranoid-schizoid (p-s) and depressive positions.
In the paranod-schizoid position, anxieties are about life and death. There may be underlying panic and massive fears.
- time stands still
- we see things as ‘you OR me’ , ‘your life OR mine’, not ‘you AND me’.
- selfishness may save our life
- consideration for others is cut off and out
- we split people and things into simple categories, depending on whether they will keep us alive or threaten us
- the capacity for reasoned thought is lost
- apology is impossible – responsibility is so frightening it has to be disowned
- huge, life-threatening self-blame is covered up by blaming someone else
- people can be afraid they should pay for their sins with their lives – so in order to save their lives, they may deny their sins.
- forgiveness is not an option
- other people may be felt as dangerous, threatening, intrusive.
- other people may be used or manipulated or threatened, as a way of getting rid of terrible anxieties into them and out of the self
- other people may be seen as cartoon characters: Perfect Angels or Monsters, Saviours or the Devil himself.”