With a trusted friend or teacher we may open our hearts and ears.We may talk and listen .We may learn and give our friend new ideas…but also this conversation may be risky.So more frequently we gossip, talk about the weather or argue over trivialities.We may chat with a friend simply to show we are with them or as they say.To touch base…in other words to comfort and give security.
When we are alone, we might worry for hours.Some people used to worry a lot about their sins.Or whether they had enough money.Or some daydream and fantasise about Fifty Shades of Grey.
Maybe actual thinking or thought is rare.
I am not proposing we should be thinking all day.We would go mad!But were we to think ,would it be like a conversation with the Other within?So we’d be listening as well as talking silently?A kind of internal conversation may be taking place.We all know that our unconscious mind may be thinking while we are woolgathering or taking a a bath.Eureka..Archimedes famous cry.And dreams are also a kind of thought in images.They are a communication.Some people have had dreams which they felt were a message from God.
In a real conversation something new might be born…Why is thinking associated with tension and effort?
- Thinking about what is called thinking [Heidegger](complexnumberblog.wordpress.com)
- Defensiveness in Conversation (pleasefeedmybrain.wordpress.com)
- Yom Kippur: Beyond the Self (bobmschwartz.com)
- It Starts With a Conversation (twowritingteachers.wordpress.com)
- Freud and Woolf (narrativeandmemory.wordpress.com)
- Metaphysical Emergence and the Discussable Object(talonsphilosophy.wordpress.com)
- Infinitely Unfolding Reality (naykdpoet.com)
- I-Thou (raiderrhetoric.wordpress.com)
- Seeing is Believing (frted.wordpress.com)
- When Nothing is Something – A Mental Rest(truchoicefitness.wordpress.com)